Wednesday, January 19, 2005

Fw: My vote against the Rice nomination

I listened to the vote this morning and I was very proud of John Kerry and
of Barbara Boxer. The other Democrats on the committee were well meaning
and their distress about how Ms Rice has handled herself and her answers to
their questions, was evident. But they felt impelled, because they will
have to work with her in the future, to vote for her. I think they are
wrong. The "no" vote may only be symbolic, but it says something important
to our country.
----- Original Message -----
From: "John Kerry"
To:
Sent: Wednesday, January 19, 2005 8:38 PM
Subject: My vote against the Rice nomination




Dear Miriam,

Earlier today, I voted in the Senate Foreign Relations Committee against the
nomination of Dr. Condoleezza Rice for Secretary of State. This vote is an
expression of my determination that we hold the Bush administration
accountable.

Dr. Rice is a principal architect, implementer, and defender of a series of
Administration policies that have not made our country as secure as we
should be and have alienated much-needed allies in our common cause of
winning the war against terrorism. Regrettably, I did not see in Dr. Rice's
testimony before our committee any acknowledgment of the need to change
course or of a new vision for America's role in the world.

On Iraq, on North Korea, on Iran, to name just a few of the most critical
challenges, it seems to be more of the same. I hope I am proven wrong. I
hope the course will change. And I hope that the Administration will
recognize the strength of a foreign policy that has bipartisan support.

I am prepared to work with Dr. Rice and others in the Administration to try
to reach agreement on policies that will truly strengthen our security and
restore America's credibility on the world stage. And I am confident
colleagues on both sides of the aisle are prepared to do so as well.

But, we've got to remain firm in our insistence that those who create
policies that don't work have the courage to admit their mistakes and the
wisdom to change course. Our johnkerry.com community has been expressing
that determination in huge numbers.

Over 700,000 people have called on President Bush to fire Donald Rumsfeld as
Secretary of Defense.

If you haven't signed the Rumsfeld petition, please do so immediately.

http://www.johnkerry.com/ReplaceRumsfeld

And, please forward the petition right now to friends and colleagues, urging
them to join in this effort.

I know you share my strong convictions on the importance of holding the
President and his Cabinet accountable. I pledge to you that I will not yield
in this effort. Let's keep working together. America's future is at stake.

Sincerely,

John Kerry


Please do not reply to this message. To contact Friends of John Kerry,
please click here:
http://www.johnkerry.com/contact/contact.php

-----------------------------------------
|Paid for by Friends of John Kerry, Inc.|
-----------------------------------------

We apologize if you received this message in error. Click here to
unsubscribe from our mailing list:
http://forms.johnkerry.com/unsubscribe/unsubscribe.html?email=miriamvieni@optonline.net&h=08ac647c9facd3378bd913e47ec8ea20

Friends of John Kerry, Inc., P.O. Box 34640, Washington DC, 20043, U.S.A.


No comments:

Blog Archive