Friday, September 29, 2006

I think I have seen everything.
posted by unhappycamper

In my 61 years on this planet, I thought I had seen most things.

I have been married and divorced. I have children and have seen a child die. I have grandchildren and have seen a grandchild die. I watched my Mother suffer with Multiple Sclerosis, Alzheimer’s disease and dementia for years before passing away in 2005.

I have spent 16 miserable days on a troopship from Oakland, California to Da Nang, Viet Nam.

I witnessed Tet of 1968 up close and personal.

In April 1970, I was in a forward base camp 100 meters inside the Cambodian border.

I have learned to fly a helicopter, shoot a 4.2 mortar, repair teletype machines, high frequency and tactical radios, land mine detectors and pretty much everything in between.

I have teed off a round of golf at midnight in Tronheim, Norway.

I was at the 1972 Olympics in Munich when the unthinkable happened.

Today I have been listening to the Senate debate about redefining Common Article Three of the Geneva Convention and revocation of habeas corpus. I have watched Senators argue that secret trials and secret evidence is good.

Today our values may be time warped to pre-1215 values.

I just can’t get my brain around what is being done to our dignity today. I can truthfully say I think I have seen everything.

Something is really, really wrong here.

No comments:

Blog Archive