Monday, November 20, 2006

The Draft Issue

Rep. Charlie Rangel (D-NY) is introducing a bill to reinstate the draft.

"There's no question in my mind that this president and this administration would never have invaded Iraq, especially on the flimsy evidence that was presented to the Congress, if indeed we had a draft and members of Congress and the administration thought that their kids from their communities would be placed in harm's way," Rangel said.

Rangel, a veteran of the Korean War who has unsuccessfully sponsored legislation on conscription in the past, has said the all-volunteer military disproportionately puts the burden of war on minorities and lower-income families.


Rangel said he will propose a measure early next year. While he said he is serious about the proposal, there is little evident support among the public or lawmakers for it.

It's no surprise that there's little evident support for it; the draft was one of the more devisive issues in the 1960's during Vietnam; being forced into the military to fight an unpopular war didn't go over too well with men who were of draft age, and the reception today of involuntary service in Iraq doesn't sound appealing to many people today.

It's pretty clear that Mr. Rangel is doing this to make a point: it would be a lot harder for members of Congress to send troops to fight a war if they knew that their sons and daughters (yes, I think women should be subjected to the draft as well) stood a chance of facing battle. And it would also point out to politicians who "had other priorities" during the last draft (ahem, Vice President Cheney) that talk is cheap.

For me, the draft is a touchy issue. In 1970 when I became draft-eligible, I registered as a Conscientious Objector. That was not an easy thing to do in a rural county in northwestern Ohio at the time; the local draft board did not look kindly on a skinny long-haired kid who told them that he was a pacifist, and it took some convincing on my part -- and at one point the advice of an attorney -- before they granted me the CO status. In July 1971 when the lottery was held, my draft number was 298, which meant that I had no chance whatsoever being called up. The Wood County draft board told me that if I changed my status to 1-A, my name would be dropped from the eligibilty list in three years, but if I maintained my CO status, I could be eligible until the age of thirty. I replied that my CO status -- or my pacifist convictions -- were not based on the luck of the draw, and I would not change back to 1-A.

So how do I personally feel about the draft? I'm still opposed to war, but I'm not naive enough to think that we don't need the armed forces. I also believe that serving your country and your fellow citizens is a noble gesture and that a lot of people get through life without doing it, more's the pity. Whether or not it should be a forced commitment is something else, especially if there is not an option for alternative service that does not involve learning how to kill people. I also think that if the draft comes back, it should be with the understanding that "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" is abandoned; if you're going to dragoon people, it shouldn't matter if they're gay or straight, and it would certainly brighten up the barracks.

So if the draft comes back, it should be under the umbrella of community service, much like what a lot of other countries do in getting their young people involved in things such as teaching or conservation services. The armed forces should be a part of it, not the only goal, and it should be open to all citizens.

How do you feel? To draft or not to draft?

posted by Mustang Bobby

No comments:

Blog Archive